Skip to main content

Bewl Sailing Association Ltd


BSA Summer Regatta

BSA Summer Regatta
Click to enlarge

10 Aug 2018

On a beautiful sunny day, nineteen boats, including two visitors and two first-time racers, registered for the first BSA Summer Regatta.

The water taxi had been carefully prepared for use as a committee boat but, despite the best laid plans, it couldn’t be moved from its berth as its anchor was irretrievably entangled round the mooring line. The resourceful Race Officer Mark Munday and Deputy John Wardrop therefore resorted to a commando at the last minute.

In the light north-easterly breeze, the Flying Fifteens got off to a slow start in the first race, followed at 5-minute intervals by the Handicap Fleet, Lasers and First-Time Racers. The first beat took them to mark 2, and a simple triangular course of one lap was sailed. Paddy McFarlan sailing single-handed initially led the way for the Flying Fifteens, but was overtaken on the spinnaker leg. In the end, Colin Nutt and Chris Hough took a first for this fleet, with Dan Kingston and Neil Cunliffe in second place. Phil Carter-Haines achieved line honours for the Lasers. Visitors Jemma Horwood and crew in their Merlin Rocket were first over the line in the handicap fleet but Jo Mayes and Amanda Conrad in their Heron won on handicap. Sue Humphries won the novice race in her Pico.

The same course was used for the second race, with Colin and crew again coming out on top for the Fifteens, closely followed by Robin Taylor and crew. Matt Cox was the leading Laser. Jo Mayes did not compete due to gear failure, and Charlie and Carolyn Howden won the handicap fleet race in a Laser Stratos.

The regatta had attracted several spectators, so racers had a relaxed picnic lunch with their families before racing resumed in the afternoon.

In the third race, Colin and Chris consistently led the way for the Fifteens, and Jim Vince and Geoff Hilton were the runners-up. Martin Dennant took the lead for the Lasers, while Jo won the handicap race.

As the wind moved to the east, buoy number 3 became the windward mark for the final race. Colin again thrashed the other Fifteens while, on handicap, Doug Milligan took second-place honours in his classic boat. Through the day there had been several changes of position among the nine Flying Fifteens. Martin Dennant was the leading Laser, and Jemma Horwood won the handicap fleet race despite having to sail two laps while the slower Heron sailed just one.

After sailing in the hot sun, everyone was gasping for a drink at the prize-giving. Bottles of wine were awarded to the winners of each fleet by Commodore and Race Officer Mark Munday as follows:

Flying Fifteens: Colin Nutt and Chris Hough

Lasers: Martin Dennant

Handicap fleet: Jo Mayes and Amanda Conrad

New-to-racing: Sue Humphries

Colin summed up the day when he said:

“Many thanks to Mark and John for a great day’s sailing in very difficult circumstances. Getting four races in in those conditions is no easy task! Brilliant to see a good turnout with all enjoying the day. Thanks again.”

You can see the full results here